[geeks] Commiserate with me ... this sucks.

mrl vlack-lists at vlack.com
Thu Jul 1 01:00:47 CDT 2004

So I come home today and am excited to find that my framebuffers have
arrived. I start messing around with them, trying to install them (fscking
UPA slots are way too difficult to figure out the first time) and started
some music on another computer. A few songs down the line, playing stops
for no apparent reason. I go over, and nothing is responding... X
eventually totally locks up. Argh.

So I switch to a console, and I see very bad messages regarding reiserfs
and md0. Long story short, I have to hard reboot, and /home (which is a
software RAID5 array of 4 80GB drives) doesn't come up. I eventually
figure out that two of my RAID disks are dead. Why I didn't notice the
first one going is entirely my fault, although it definitely shouldn't
have happened, since I got all of those disks within the past few months!

Things I'm going to miss the most: chatlogs (the worst loss), my long list
of quotes & jokes, passwords (probably not a big deal.. I think I can
remember most of these), and rare software & docs (NeXT and Apple stuff,
source code for old stuff, random UNIXes for which I have no hardware
(yet), etc.). Fortunately, I recently moved my mail to IMAP on my server,
so none of that is lost.

This is why they tell you to do backups even though you have RAID.
<sigh>... if only I had the money. (Although this next time, I guess I'll
be trying harder. Meh.)

Off to cry myself to sleep... :(