[geeks] PowerBook G4 - what is 'hot'

Bill Bradford mrbill at mrbill.net
Mon Jan 26 11:19:04 CST 2004

On Mon, Jan 26, 2004 at 11:11:58AM -0600, Brian Dunbar wrote:
> I got used to this level of warmth from my old Dell laptop ... Is this
> normal for a PowerBook?  Perhaps it's attempting to compensate for the
> sub-zero weather we're having in Wisconsin right now ...

Tip:  (at least it works on my G4 tower)

Install the CHUD tools from Apple, then go into the system preferences,
CHUD, and click "nap".  I see a 15-20degreeC temperature difference
(lower) when I run my G4 CPUs in "nap" mode (e.g., they go to sleep when
idle) and have not had any problems in over a month when doing this.

Bill

--
bill bradford
mrbill at mrbill.net