[geeks] This Litle Green Monster...

Joshua Boyd jdboyd at jdboyd.net
Fri Jan 23 15:45:23 CST 2004

On Fri, Jan 23, 2004 at 02:28:24PM -0500, Kevin wrote:
> Tell them to start with POV-Ray on a 386 with 4 megs of RAM and they
> will learn better than most animators/modelers i see today :)

That certainly brings back memories.  That is what I started with.  A
386sx with 4 megs of ram.  Going to a machine with a math coprocessor
and true color display was so nice.  Of course, for animation I didn't
get to take advantage of the true color because of using FLC or FLI
files (which ever was worse I think was what I used).

> BTW: i was animating a particle system made up of individual green
> chili peppers coming from an exploding hot sauce bottle with the
> peppers reacting to dynamics.  It could have been done with 2D mapped
> particles but the dynamics thing would have been shot.  Hell, i only
> had ~45-55 particles in the whole system and the pepper objects were
> cut down about as far as i could get them poly wise.  Max was a
> resource hog back then (and may still be, i wouldn't know these
> days), but there were some things that it could do at that time that
> nothing in it's price range could even hope for.  Wavefront could
> have handled those particles in a much more elegant manner, but that
> was an SGI and mutli-grand software away from me at the time.

Well, you could have always used POVray. :)

BTW, did you ever see the Cyber tools for the Atari STs that preceded
3DS (the team who did the Cyber tools was hired to do 3DS and Animator
Pro).