[geeks] GPS and Mac and maybe bluetooth?

Dan Duncan dand at pcisys.net
Fri Feb 27 13:54:20 CST 2004

Does anyone have experience using a GPS with a Mac,
preferably OS X?  Mostly I'm finding software, of which there
seems to be plenty.  This implies to me there are GPS units that
work with a Mac, but I'm having trouble determining which units do.

Also, of the many bluetooth-enabled GPS units that seem to exist,
why does only one of them (Fortuna GPSmart) actually have a screen
so it can be used as a handheld GPS? IE, why don't more handheld GPS
units support bluetooth?

I'm in the market for a new GPS, and I'd like it to interface
with my upcoming laptop (iBook), and if it would do so without
a cable (bluetooth) then I could also use it with my cellphone
or my desktop.

My old GPS is probably going to become my ntp source.

-DanD

# Never pet a burning dog.