[geeks] guitar pictures

Joshua Boyd jdboyd at jdboyd.net
Mon Feb 23 14:02:30 CST 2004

On Mon, Feb 23, 2004 at 10:16:00AM -0600, Bill Bradford wrote:

> I'm actually going to get something like an old Rockman, as I want to be
> able to play guitar w/headphones without being tethered to the Mac.

If one was to go the garageband/ibook route, it would make sense for the
ibook to be dedicated to just that task.  Otherwise it generally becomes
too inconvenient.

> The Line6 Pod stuff is nice, but way above my "balance level of playing with
> expenditures on equipment" level.  e.g., I'm not going to drop big bucks on
> any guitar stuff until I get back to the level of playing I was at in
> high school..)

It is extremely nice.  Also extremely expensive.

What I really want is to simply get a moderate fender amp, a nice boost
pedal or two, a wah pedel, maybe an extra distortion pedel (looking
towards more marshal like sounds), and a general effects processing unit
(reverbs, delays, chorus, aimed at everything, not just guitars.  Some
of the older Alesis Midiverbs would do nicely).  However, even for low
standards (like say accepting functional but beat up amps), this is
still a very expensive setup to persue.  All said and done, it would
easily pass the cost of a Pod (not to mention the V-Amp stuff).

I'm not the greatest guitar player, but I think that I'm good enough
that most of the time my gear is worse than my playing is.

Thing is, I tend to only play publicly about once a month, and for no
money, so it is hard to justify spending large amounts of cash on doing
this.