[geeks] high-dollar surge supressors

Gregory Leblanc gleblanc at linuxweasel.com
Sat Feb 21 14:19:52 CST 2004

> Subject:
> [geeks] high-dollar surge supressors
> From:
> Bill Bradford <mrbill at mrbill.net>
> Date:
> Fri, 20 Feb 2004 19:32:47 -0600
> To:
> geeks at sunhelp.org
>
> To:
> geeks at sunhelp.org
>

> What do y'all think of these?
>
> http://www.brickwall.com/
>
> Worth $200?  I'm considering one for my computer equipment and one for the
> "new" (well, five month old) 51" tv/tivo.

I've had extremely good luck with MOV based surge suppressors, even
built one of my own.  I haven't finished reading their site just yet,
but I don't see anything that jumps out at me as "OMG, these are great!"
  I've yet to see a MOV fail catastrophically, and I've replaced several
of them in failed Indy's, and have had another dozen or so fail in
external surge suppressors.  Power conditioning, or "filtering" is a
good thing, especially for audio equipment, since it's mostly designed
around getting a perfect smooth sine wave out of the wall.

Anyway, if you've got any specific questions, I can try to answer them,
without too much bias toward one product or another.
	Greg