[geeks] high-dollar surge supressors

wa2egp at att.net wa2egp at att.net
Sat Feb 21 10:15:36 CST 2004

> Has anyone had experience with a "whole house" surge suppressor?
> Some friends of mine live in a lightning-prone area and their
> house came with one.  It's a ring that goes between the electric
> meter and the box.  They can't really say if it does anything
> or not, and I would still use surge protectors where I use them
> now, but it might be nice to add a little protection to everything.
>
> -DanD

I read in one amateur radio magazine article where the author installed
one in his house and claimed the power pig on the nearby pole was hit
by lightning one day during a particlarly nasty storm and nothing fried.
YMMV.  I installed one, and so far, Public Service Flicker and Flash
hasn't had anything come down the line that killed anything. (fingers
crossed)  A more than adaquate ground is also helpful.
Bob