[geeks] OSX and remote console

Brian Dunbar brian.dunbar at plexus.com
Tue Feb 3 16:43:16 CST 2004

On Feb 3, 2004, at 4:18 PM, Caleb Shay wrote:

<snip>

> If you are using panther, just running xterm will automatically start
> the xserver and have the DISPLAY environment set correctly.

there might be a clue here .. I've 10.3.2 and when I launch terminal.app

Welcome to Darwin!
briandunbar_natasha_~:xterm
xterm Xt error: Can't open display: :0.0
briandunbar_natasha_~:hostname
natasha.neenah.na.plexus.com
briandunbar_natasha_~:export DISPLAY=natasha.neenah.na.plexus.com:0.0
briandunbar_natasha_~:echo $DISPLAY
natasha.neenah.na.plexus.com:0.0
briandunbar_natasha_~:xterm
xterm Xt error: Can't open display: natasha.neenah.na.plexus.com:0.0
<at this point I launch Xterm from Utilities>
briandunbar_natasha_~:xterm
<and lo and behold an xterm launches>

something funny in the config on this laptop, I'm sure.

I'll probably fool with this at home.  I've _got_ a PC next to me with
a working copy of Exceed after all ....

brian