[geeks] OSX and remote console

Nadine Miller vraptor at promessage.com
Tue Feb 3 15:45:38 CST 2004

Brian Dunbar wrote:
> I'm driving my self bats getting a X window to display from my server to
> my PowerBook.  Specifically I want the CDE console (yech) so I can do
> the 'easy' graphic installation for AribaBuyer (and you're lucky if
> you've never heard of this app)

Having been an end-user of the Ariba Enterprise system,
I truly feel sorry for you.

Have you tried, on the Mac in an xterm, assuming you
have X for OS X installed and you're using tcsh:

PB%>setenv DISPLAY 0:0
PB%>xhost + solaris_server_name

Then start the application on the Solaris server
from an xterm.

If you absolutely have to get the PB to act as a
X server xdm client...whew, that's been a while...

You have to do some config stuff on the server
(xdm-config) and then get the X client to talk
directly to the server for *logging into* the X
server as you would the console.  This has some
of it, oriented towards Linux:

<http://www.madisonlinux.org/help/xterminals/>

A brief googling doesn't turn up anything
obviously OS X oriented.  I'd expect you'd have
to go with "rooted" vs. "rootless" mode on
X for OS X, too.

=Nadine=