[geeks] ethanol...

wa2egp at att.net wa2egp at att.net
Wed Apr 28 19:32:03 CDT 2004

> i'm surprised more municipalities don`t recover the methane from
> sewage treatment plants.

A couple of summers ago I visited a site in Conn where they were
extracting methane from a landfill and burning it to generate
electricity.  They could power about 1200 homes, excess methane
was burned off.  Estimated lifetime of the methane in the landfill
was about 15-20 years.  I've also recently read about using some
microorganisms to "eat" the organics of sewage and generate
electricity.  I believe it was in "Science News" in the last
couple of weeks.