[geeks] [rescue] Computerfests (was: first real server hardware) -OT

wa2egp at att.net wa2egp at att.net
Wed Apr 28 19:25:21 CDT 2004

> it didn't fit into existing mfg infrastructure, which is worth big
> $$$.  they'd have to scrap their engine plants for a start to switch.
>
> it -was- too expensive, from their viewpoint.

Claimed it had twice as many parts as a V-8.  I've seen diagrams.
Didn't look like that to me.  I still think a good part of the decision
was that it would last too damn long.  (Hmmm...let's see..dump the
body at the junk yard...go to Ford, pick up a new body.....)

> " Remember that race where the turbine engine race car was winning hands down
> " until a small gear broke in the tranny?  They changed the rules to restrict
> " the intake area (and lowered the power) so much that no one ever tried it
> " again.
>
> the stp indy car, '67 iirc, parnelli jones at the wheel.  4wd, 4-wheel
> steering.  in my memory it was a bearing that failed...

Could be.  I remember the sports reporters showing a gear on TV that was
thought to be the one that failed.  "Only an $8 part....."

> they did try again under the new rules in '68, but weren't
> outstanding.  their big advantage in '67 was, there weren't any rules
> for turbines.

They restricted the size of the intake so much that the turbine couldn't
compete with piston engine cars.  I also seem to remember that it
didn't have to refuel any more than the other cars.  Of course you're
not going to find engines like that in my Protege....