[geeks] [rescue] Computerfests (was: first real server hardware) -OT

Brian Dunbar brian.dunbar at plexus.com
Wed Apr 28 11:06:53 CDT 2004

On Apr 28, 2004, at 10:52 AM, Dan Duncan wrote:

> On Wed, 28 Apr 2004, Brian Dunbar wrote:
>> I saw a proposal to use microwaves or lasers to beam power from solar
>> powered satellites to heat a boiler which would then generate
>> electricity.  I'm not sure if this would be 'better' or 'worse' than
>> simply beaming the same power to a rectenna or solar array for
>> collection.
>
> It would probably be too likely a satellite like this would be turned
> to less humanitarian purposes.
>
> I always picture that or a tracking error looking something like
> the beam that took out the White House in Independence Day.
>
> *FWOOSH*
>
> Hehe.

(shrug) not my field.  I've seen arguments from SPS proponents who
claim the laser / microwave can be designed not to be so very hazardous
- beam wander from a laser might (iirc) be noticed by the neighbors,
and possibly annoying, but not injurious.

I imagine the same people who are irrationally against nuclear power*
would have the same arguments against SPS.  Bah, they'll drag us to the
Dark Ages, see if they don't.  Damn mundanes.

~brian

*as opposed to those who have valid scientific concerns, of course.