[geeks] [rescue] Computerfests (was: first real server hardware) -OT

Dan Duncan dand at pcisys.net
Wed Apr 28 10:52:15 CDT 2004

On Wed, 28 Apr 2004, Brian Dunbar wrote:
> I saw a proposal to use microwaves or lasers to beam power from solar
> powered satellites to heat a boiler which would then generate
> electricity.  I'm not sure if this would be 'better' or 'worse' than
> simply beaming the same power to a rectenna or solar array for
> collection.

It would probably be too likely a satellite like this would be turned
to less humanitarian purposes.

I always picture that or a tracking error looking something like
the beam that took out the White House in Independence Day.

*FWOOSH*

Hehe.

-DanD

# From my Dr. Pepper label:  WARNING: CONTENTS UNDER PRESSURE. CAP MAY BLOW OFF
# CAUSING EYE OR OTHER SERIOUS INJURY.  POINT AWAY FROM PEOPLE, ESPECIALLY
# WHILE OPENING.