[geeks] [rescue] Computerfests (was: first real server

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at verizon.net
Mon Apr 26 13:57:11 CDT 2004

> From: dittman at dittman.net (Eric Dittman)
> Date: 2004/04/26 Mon PM 06:46:04 GMT
> To: geeks at sunhelp.org
> Subject: Re: Re: [geeks] [rescue] Computerfests (was: first real server
>
> > Just as an example (and I claim right now not to know if this is true), let's pretend that Southwest's business model is predicated on an available supply of 5-10 year old planes from the "major carriers"... If everyone adopted Southwest's model, there would be no ready supply of 5-10 year old planes...
>
> Southwest buys new planes.  Their major advantage is they only buy
> Boeing 737 aircraft.  There's been some talk about adding another
> type, but critics say that will hurt them due to extra maintenance
> costs.

Cool - there si also the possibility that they *dispose* of their airplanes beofre they get too old, require a lot of maint. - if everyone bought new, the used 737 market would collapse, but the new 737 market would boom...

Just examples, not claiming any insight into Southwests business model...  But now that you mention it Eric, I do recall that Southwest only bought one model airplane...