[geeks] [rescue] Computerfests (was: first real server hardware) -OT

Sandwich Maker adh at an.bradford.ma.us
Mon Apr 26 13:04:22 CDT 2004

" From: Brian Dunbar <brian.dunbar at plexus.com>
"
" > 1. chrysler was a defense contractor; their tank design also got the
" > contract even though it was inferior to gm's in the proving ground
" > tests.  it would be -very-bad- if we were to wind up with single
" > bidders on major weapons systems.

meant to add - worse than buying the loser in a runoff.  competition
is the only way to keep them even faintly honest and diligent.

the recent jsf went to lock-mart, because they needed it and boeing
didn't, for the same reason.

now compare and contrast this with the auto industry.  the big three
have pissed away all the money the clinton admin handed out to develop
hybrid cars.  japanese makers asked to participate but were denied.
who's got product?

gm took its ev1 electrics back when they came off lease, even when
enthusiastic owners wanted to keep them.  i suspect the govt $$ ran
out and that's all they were really interested in.

otoh hybrid tech has a ways to go.  the toyota sells - reputedly at a
large loss - for twice the echo it's based on, gets mileage no better
than a vw diesel, and when the batts run their life out - guard your
wallet...

" > what military/defense role do airlines fill?
"
" Hmmmm I don't recall the specifics (but I'm sure the eleventy other
" posts I can see in my queue might have some) but airline fleets are
" subject to being drafted in the event of national need.  Not just
" planes but (iirc) crew and (maybe) some support staff.

i'll grant this, but it's secondary.  it probably applies to any and
all transportation systems.

" DoD also charters airliners to fly troops to and fro when needed.

this sounds a lot like 'outsourcing'...