[geeks] [rescue] Computerfests (was: first real server hardware) -OT

Sandwich Maker adh at an.bradford.ma.us
Mon Apr 26 12:42:56 CDT 2004

" From: Brian Dunbar <brian.dunbar at plexus.com>
"
" On Apr 26, 2004, at 8:15 AM, Kevin wrote:
"
" > I've been of this opinion for some time now.  Some argue that
" > they have cost problems due to unionization, and a portion of
" > that is probably true, but all in all, if a private business
" > can't stay afloat after all these years...

i draw a line between 'major' and 'minor' businesses -- major ones
have the clout to handle competition [in theory anyway] whereas minor
ones can suffer ummm the microsoft effect.

" The airlines were doing fine (or at least the industry wasn't having
" the issues they are having now) before deregulation.  And yes,
" regulating an industry _is_ a way for the government to support an
" industry, but they weren't having to pay _cash_ to bail individual
" carriers out on a regular basis.

and the folks actually flying pay the freight!  what a concept...

" But it should be possible to operate an airline at a profit.  Southwest
" does, and their employees seem happy.  Turnover in their IT shop in
" Dallas is low, at any rate.

this probably requires a degree of enlightenment which is antithetical
to most mgmt.

" We can't go back, and The People (including myself) are happily used to
" paying below market value for airline tickets.  The best answer might
" be to let the industry go and work things out for itself.  That is,
" however, a lot of churn and disruption - I doubt it could be made to
" happen politically.

sad but probably true.  it's much too easy to grease the
congressthings.