[geeks] On Fairer Taxation...

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Tue Apr 20 23:18:51 CDT 2004

Sun, 18 Apr 2004 @ 14:15 -0500, Jonathan C. Patschke said:

> Actually, the current bill (HR25) addresses this in Chapter 3.  People
> get refunds for an estimate of the taxes paid on the basic necessities
> of life (food, clothing, etc).

To me, that could end up being a mess like some of the exceptions,
itemizations, and loopholes we have now.

Maybe necessities would simply not be taxed, or would have a ceiling put
on them?

> How much does your employer spend complying with the tax code?  A lot of
> estimates put the aggregate at around $125 billion for the country.

It's not just that, but also side effects you could never calculate.

--
shannon "AT" widomaker.com -- ["Meddle not in the affairs of Wizards, for
thou art crunchy, and taste good with ketchup." -- unknown]