[geeks] Re: [rescue] Computerfests (was: first real server hardware)

Andrew Weiss ajwdsp at cloud9.net
Sun Apr 18 13:55:24 CDT 2004

On Apr 18, 2004, at 1:43 PM, Jonathan C. Patschke wrote:

> Why?  If I'm working harder to make my life better, what gives someone
> else the right to take more away from me?  That seems horribly unfair
> people who work hard and make good decisions.

I'm not going to answer this again.  You and I disagree.  My general
feeling on this way of looking at things is that it is the direct
opposite of what I want to be and I'll leave it at that.

>> <snip>

>> <snip>

>> Does someone who pays 10x as many taxes get 10x as many
> government benefits?

See above statement... but I will leave you with one clue as to what I
feel about this.  It doesn't matter if you get 10 x the benefits...
it's simply a cost of life... big deal.  I don't sweat what I get out
of my tax dollars.  I simply pay my share and move on.  Voting or
running for office is supposed to be how you deal with inequity here.
This is why I'd be in favor of on top of the fact that you would
calculate tax based on cost of living and income, you would withhold
that amount and adjust someone's salary so if you advertised a position
at $75,000 a year... that's exactly what they'd make.  Sure the company
would pay the government as if they made $NUM which after taxes ends up
being 75G.  Companies would advertise all their positions at the post
tax rate.  People would have no control over tax dollars or ever see
them leave their wallets.

>> <snip>

> Dude, drop the hate-mongering.  We're talking about funding government
> services, not going on "Ass Kicking Tour 2004".

God I wish I could.

>> <snip>
>> Make it be TIME TO MOVE for their lazy a$$es.
>
> So that they'll move overseas, manage their companies from abroad, and
> NOT pay any money into the system?  That seems to be self-defeating.

Actually the idea is... make the environment here a bit more hostile.
They can still make it here... fine.  If they move... nobody else will
tolerate them and their butts will be thrown out of those places too.
Not self-defeating... suit-depleting.  If they moved overseas to manage
their companies that would turn into a premeditated tax evasion act
with self-limiting repercussions.

But anyway I'm already switching into rant mode and I no longer feel
the energy to continue.  My ideas are crazy of course... just as crazy
as anyone elses... we can all play armchair politician all we like but
nothing will change.

Andrew