[geeks] Re: [rescue] OT taxes

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Tue Apr 20 23:16:43 CDT 2004

Tue, 20 Apr 2004 @ 00:28 -0400, Phil Stracchino said:

> I'm also told a lot of the $200 hammers are line-items that have been
> padded to hide the cost of black projects that Congress isn't trusted to
> know about.  (Personally, the whole idea of military black projects that
> the government itself is not allowed to know about bothers me in the
> first place, but that's neither here nor there at the moment.)

Well... it bothers me too, but I've been inside a project like that, and
I definitely understand why they are often a secret.

I wonder if some kind of information escrow system would work, where any
request to extend the time before declassification had to be publicly
reviewed.

When I was in college I wrote a paper about computer technology in
the military.  This was 1991, and I had to file a FoI paper to get
information on the B29 bomber.

In fact, I had to file several, for technology which is decades out of
date.

--
shannon "AT" widomaker.com -- ["Meddle not in the affairs of Wizards, for
thou art crunchy, and taste good with ketchup." -- unknown]