[geeks] Re: [rescue] OT taxes

Brian Dunbar brian.dunbar at plexus.com
Mon Apr 19 23:03:25 CDT 2004

Forwarded to Geeks

On Apr 19, 2004, at 12:11 PM, Kevin Loch wrote:

> Jonathan C. Patschke wrote:
>> That I'll pay for.  That army should not cost $xxxx/year per citizen.
>
> Then the army should stop paying $xxxx per toilet seat.  Seriously,
> Imagine how much lower our taxes would be if we eliminated the massive
> fraud, waste and abuse that persists throughout everything our
> government touches.

The $500 toilet seat started life as a misunderstanding, IIRC.  The
Navy needed seats to outfit a certain class of P3 Orion, there were a
limited number of birds, and they had to  meet some extraordinary
requirements for crash worthiness.  That's the story I head, ymmv.

I always thought the military - or at least the Marines - was very
wasteful of time and material.  When we ramped up for Desert Storm and
voila, most of the silly crap made sense.

The military is like a high performance engine.  Which spends most of
it's working life idling in traffic, burning oil and being inefficient.
  But once in a while you get to take her out on the highway and open it
up and use it the way it's supposed to be used.

~brian