[geeks] one drawback to the new economy

Brian Dunbar Brian.Dunbar at plexus.com
Mon Apr 19 00:16:30 CDT 2004

We used to have enough system admins that 'doubling up' was possible -
everyone has a set of applications, services or whatnot that they are the
backup for, in addition to their real duties.

We lost one SA last year and... guess what, we no longer have the 'capacity'
for an offical backup.  Welcome to the new economy.

If nothing else, that guy makes a terrific sounding board.  As well, you're
not the only SME in a given company.

But I'm _it_ for this god-forsaken-application-from-hell that refuses to see
the database from the new app server.

It's late, I've been at this for hours, and since the ladies on the floor
need to get back to work I'm punting and devolving back to the old app
server.  What timing - we're doing my performance reviews tomorrow ...

Thanks for listening to my sorta rant sorta steam venting.

~brian