[geeks] Fwd: [IP] Interesting speculation on the tech behind gmail

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Sun Apr 11 15:25:11 CDT 2004

Sun, 11 Apr 2004 @ 09:45 -0400, Sandwich Maker said:

> " From: Charles Shannon Hendrix <shannon at widomaker.com>
> "
> " Thu, 08 Apr 2004 @ 15:40 +0000, Lionel Peterson said:
> "
> " > I don't follow your math... NOT saying you are wrong, but further insight
> " > appreciated.
> " >
> " > If a drive has a MTBF of 100K hours, that comes out to what, about 400 24 hour
> " > days, right? Now, some drives may fail immediately (DOA+1 hour), other drives
> " > may last for 200K hours (giving a 100K hour mean), correct?
> "
> " I think he meant to say 1,000,000 hours, and some drives are probably
> " over that now.
>
> i actually did mean 100kh, as i haven't followed disk stats that
> closely.  1Mh only reinforces my arg though.

Yeah, I was thinking that it was an off-by-one error but it appears it
wasn't.

I think some of the new Seagate Barracuda drives are over the 1.2
million MTBF mark.

--
shannon "AT" widomaker.com -- ["Trouble rather the tiger in his lair than
the sage amongst his books For to you kingdoms and their armies are mighty