[geeks] Fwd: [IP] Interesting speculation on the tech behind gmail

Sandwich Maker adh at an.bradford.ma.us
Sun Apr 11 08:45:59 CDT 2004

" From: Charles Shannon Hendrix <shannon at widomaker.com>
"
" Thu, 08 Apr 2004 @ 15:40 +0000, Lionel Peterson said:
"
" > I don't follow your math... NOT saying you are wrong, but further insight
" > appreciated.
" >
" > If a drive has a MTBF of 100K hours, that comes out to what, about 400 24 hour
" > days, right? Now, some drives may fail immediately (DOA+1 hour), other drives
" > may last for 200K hours (giving a 100K hour mean), correct?
"
" I think he meant to say 1,000,000 hours, and some drives are probably
" over that now.

i actually did mean 100kh, as i haven't followed disk stats that
closely.  1Mh only reinforces my arg though.