[geeks] HD data recovery recommendations?

Jonathan C. Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Fri Apr 9 23:55:43 CDT 2004

On Fri, 9 Apr 2004, Bill Bradford wrote:

> Yep, Hitachi-badged 160G drive.  I thought the only Deathstars were the
> 40G versions though?  I've got a 60G IBM-badged in this Mac that's been
> flawless.

The 80G drives were particularly troublesome I'm sending back my fourth
one to Hitachi as soon as I remember to have them reopen the RMA.

> Basic problem: after being FedExed to another group of people that work with
> my friend, this drive won't spin up.  I think they tried to use a 19V power
> supply with its external FireWire enclosure instead of the 12V that came with
> it.

Lame.

> When they got it, "it wont spin up".  Then, when they FedExed it *back* to me,
> they didnt screw it into the enclosure - so it was bouncing around inside its
> Firewire case.. it got here, and sure enough, won't spin up.

Double-lame, but that hopefully didn't do more than scuff it up and kill
a couple sectors.

--
Jonathan Patschke  ) "Being on the Internet is not the same as being
Elgin, TX         (   famous.  That's like calling Cheetos 'dinner'."