[geeks] vi vs. emacs - rational discussion

Joshua Boyd jdboyd at jdboyd.net
Sun Apr 4 11:06:10 CDT 2004

On Sat, Apr 03, 2004 at 08:47:51PM -0500, Sandwich Maker wrote:

> "Resources - vi places very little demand on system resources. This is
> "important when trying to salvage a tipsy system.
>
> ditto, in spades - though vi happened to be my first editor.  all the
> gingerbread emacs offers we all can get just by opening another xterm
> etc.

So by opening another xterm allows you to have vi show the function
prototype for the function your are currently entering?

In my emacs, if I type
packet_create(
it reminds me in the bottom mini-buffer that the prototype for that
function is:
int packet_create(unsigned char * packet, unsigned char di, unsigned char da,
                  unsigned char si, unsigned char sa, unsigned char cmd,
		  unsigned char * data, unsigned char data_len);
since I tend to for get what order di, da, si, and sa come in.

It also reminds me in the status bar that I'm currently in the
route_packet() function, which might not be on screen since the function
may be rather long (which I know is considered bad form, but I don't
edit code that only I wrote).