[geeks] vi vs. emacs - rational discussion

Sandwich Maker adh at an.bradford.ma.us
Sat Apr 3 19:47:51 CST 2004

"From: "James" <james at jdfogg.com>
"
"Since then I have a preference for vi
"based on a formula of simplicity+ubiquity+resources.
"
"Simplicity - it is very simple and will work on *any* terminal or console,
"even an Apple ][+.
"
"Ubiquity - just about any Unix system has vi default-installed, and it is
"available for almost every other OS I can think of.
"
"Resources - vi places very little demand on system resources. This is
"important when trying to salvage a tipsy system.

ditto, in spades - though vi happened to be my first editor.  all the
gingerbread emacs offers we all can get just by opening another xterm
etc.