[geeks] vi vs. emacs - rational discussion

Caleb Shay caleb at webninja.com
Sat Apr 3 08:01:34 CST 2004

On Sat, 3 Apr 2004, Jonathan C. Patschke wrote:
> One of the really neat things I like about Emacs is the easy access to a
> lisp interpreter.  Don't want to learn lisp?  Just use it for simple
> things:
>
>   C-x b *scratch*
>   (* 24234 34234)
>   C-j
>
> And Emacs happily replies with 24320388, the product of 24234 and
> 34234.  Then you can C-x RET to get back to what you were working on.
> The +, -, /, and % (modulo) arithmetic functions work similarly.

I build my vim with language interpreters for the same reason

:python print 24234*34234

or

:python from vim import *
:python current.line = current.line*4096
# repeats the string on the current line 4096 times
:python vim.current.window.cursor = (3,2)
# moves the cursor to row 3 column 3 (columns are 0 indexed)

Cheers,

Caleb