[geeks] 4th Amendment Gone

Mike Meredith mike at blackhairy.demon.co.uk
Sat Apr 3 05:05:26 CST 2004

On Fri, 2 Apr 2004 16:22:54 -0500, Charles Shannon Hendrix wrote:
> Don't write off the US military quite so lightly.

I don't. I would have made the point, but didn't want to ramble on too
long ...

> Are you completely convinced that in a revolution they will turn on
> their own people?

No. Neither am I completely convinced that they wouldn't. This is where
numbers help ... the more you have, the more likely that the military
will identify with your people.

> You might suddenly find a great many of them changing sides...

Any sane revolutionary leaders would put a *lot* of effort into turning
the military.

> The American Revolution was won with a tiny fraction of the base
> population.

I didn't say anything about the proportion of the population that you
would need. You need enough whatever than number turns out to be.

> > You don't necessarily need guns in a revolution (the Indians managed
> > to get rid of those 'orrible English without), but if you do need
> > them there's always ways of getting hold of them.
>
> True, but only if the production and grass-roots training and
> indoctrination are not removed.

You can always establish your own production facilities and training. In
fact if a revolution evolves into a civil war (probably the worst
possible outcome), you're going to need them anyway.

I'll avoid responding to your other comments as we're in danger of
slipping into a gun control thread.