[geeks] learning script/prog [was: search and replace]

Mike Nicewonger twmaster at twmaster.com
Sat Sep 6 02:32:48 CDT 2003

This is without doubt the best piece of advice I have seen in a *very* long
time. Even the smallest tasks! [0]

I have been wanting something to tinker with ed-u-ma-catin myself with that
would have more than a narrow field of use. :)

Thank you Jonathan.

[0] I have two small scripts I use to parse my maillogs :) One liner's
so-to-speak

> And I forgot the most important things:
>
>   4) PRACTICE
>
> Even if it's cobbling something together in ksh so that you don't have
> to type it in twice, script -everything-.  Make your scripts work
> together.  Keep an archive of scripts, and improve rather than start
> over each time you need a variation on a theme.
>
> It sounds trite, but you'd be amazed how much your skills will improve
> if you use them, just a little bit, each day.  I -still- find myself
> looking a code I wrote a year ago, being embarrassed at how I could ever
> churn out something so crude with my name on it, and I've been
> experiencing that since I started programming nearly 17 years ago.
>
> And, in the same vein:
>
>   5) Relish toy problems
>
> Don't turn something down as a possible scripting (or, if you're feeling
> bold, programming) candidate just because it's simple.  For example, I
> don't own an alarm clock.  I've used a computer for that since I was in
> junior high.

[snip]