[geeks] RE: Need help choosing a G4 system

Gavin Hubbard ghub005 at xtra.co.nz
Fri Sep 5 23:19:16 CDT 2003

Hello list

Thank-you to everyone who replied to my email about buying a G4 powermac. On
friday afternoon I placed an order for option #3 - the refurbished dual
1.25GHz system. This will be the first time I've used a Mac since the late
90's (circa B&W G3s and MacOS 8.x) and I'm really looking forward to it
arriving.

In classic example of clever Apple marketing, I only became genuinely
interested in getting a new system when I saw the really low price on the
1GHz system. As Kurt noted, it was easy to justify the upgrade to the
1.25GHz system given the better processor/hard-disk/graphics, and so it
ended a being a choice between the 1.25GHz single and 1.25GHz dual.

I quickly came to the conclusion that my requirements won't require a dual
processor system. But I still chose one. Why? I really liked Lionel's
comment about a dual system hedging against future obsolesence, and I'm also
hoping that the dual system may have a proportionally better resale value in
2-3 years time (when perhaps I'll upgrade to a G5 system).

As per Nadine's comment, I will be carefully considering getting an
Applecare warranty. I'm particularly impressed that the warranty can be
transferred if I ever need to sell the system.

Once again - thanks for all of you help.

Best regards,

Gavin