[geeks] Need help choosing a G4 system

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 4 23:07:04 CDT 2003

--- Gavin Hubbard <ghub005 at xtra.co.nz> wrote:
> Its official. I'm giving in to my curiosity and have decided to buy a
> new Apple G4 desktop. I will mainly use it for general desktop, email
> & document management, web browsing, and basic photo editing tasks.
>
> It looks like Apple has timed the platform transition pretty well and
> there aren't many G4 systems left in the sales channel. If I want to
> get a G4, I really have to make a choice this afternoon. I have three
> options in front of me:
>
> 1. New 1GHz G4, 256MB, 60GB, combo-drive, Nvidia Geforce 4MX/64MB.
> $1265
>
> 2. New 1.25GHz G4, 256MB, 80GB, combo-drive, ATI Radeon 9000/64MB.
> $1476
>
> 3. Refurbished 1.25GHz dual G4, 256MB, 80GB, combo-drive, ATI Radeon
> 9000/64MB. $1647

> If you were in my position, which system would you choose? Any advice
> you can offer would be greatly appreciated.

I would posit that all are perfectly satisfactory systems for yor
stated purpose, but as noted elsewhere, SMP is a great hedge against
future obsolesence, IMHO. And, at less than $200 over the 1.25 GHz G4
box, it is my preferred system from your list. But then again, I think
all computers should have multiple CPUs. ;^)

=====
Lionel

"I am not into examining other peoples' dumps..." - Sheldon T. Hall