[geeks] DMCA wierdness

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Mon Oct 27 10:43:47 CST 2003

On Sat, Oct 11, 2003 at 12:28:27PM +0100, Mike Meredith wrote:
> On Fri, 10 Oct 2003 19:55:54 -0700 (PDT), Lionel Peterson wrote:
> > --- Gavin Hubbard <ghub005 at xtra.co.nz> wrote:
> > > Now I understand why we need organisations like the EFF.
> >
> > Oh, I forgot to mention now Mr. Bill needs the EFF too,a s well as all
> > the other sites that mirror this maillist, and let's not forget anyone
> > that forwards your prior post... ;^)
>
> Except for those of us in the free world (i.e. without the DMCA). I'd
> like to say that the rest of us are staring at the US and saying "WTF
> did they do that for ?", but we seem to be copying the idea.

You guys also have some interesting wierdness that is uniquely your own.

Some of the draconian laws in Germany and France have us saying WTF over
here!

Europe, UK, and the US copy one another a lot more than anyone wants to
admit, so all of us need to be careful.

Any one nation with substantial political or economic power passing a
law has a profound impact on any of their close partners.

> Amusingly enough it raises the distinct possibility that Russia will be
> the European country with the greatest freedoms in a few years time.

Yep, the Red Mafia garantees it... :)