[geeks] The new G4 iBooks - anyone getting one? (looking for feedback)

Kurt Huhn kurt at k-huhn.com
Fri Oct 24 15:38:57 CDT 2003

On Fri, 24 Oct 2003 13:18:12 -0700 (PDT)
Lionel Peterson wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I am tempted by the 12.1" 800 MHz G4-based iBook APple just
> introduced, and I'm wondering about others opinions:
>
> G4 iBook vs G3 iBook - the prices on the G3 iBooks seem high in
> comparison

It really is.  Go for the G4.  I'm happy with my 900Mhz G3, but I wish I
could run some G4-only software on this system.

> Where to buy an iBook - macmall.com has some decent looking offers
> (max the RAM (for $39), free Epson C84 printer (after rebate), free
> shipping(after rebate), etc) and they take about $5 off the list price
> from Apple!

Sounds like a good deal.  I got a similar deal at the Aplle store when I
bought this iBook not too long ago.

> This is either for my wife (a graphic design person), or for me, and
> I'll give her my 500 MHz G4 PowerBook (15" model) - which would make a
> better "desktop" machine (when hooked up to a monitor, keyboard,
> mouse)? I think that is how my wife will likely use "her" Mac...

That's a tough call.  The G4 iBook will certainly be more responsive
running OS X, I'll wager.  If you want to give her the better system,
give her the new G4 iBook.  You need to insert some parameters into PROM
to make it do two heads The Right Way (if they haven't changed this),
but be aware that this is only tested in G3 iBooks.

> How is 802.11b/g in the iBooks? The Ti PowerBooks have a seemingly
> limited range (due to case design, etc.)...

So far so good.  I don't exactly test the limits of 802.11b with my
iBook though.  I don't have any problems using the Airport.  A Belkin
WAP, well, that's a different story....

--
Kurt                 "I am not aware that any community has a right to
kurt at k-huhn.com       force another to be civilized."