[geeks] Dog Be Gone

Kurt Huhn kurt at k-huhn.com
Wed Oct 22 12:00:57 CDT 2003

On Wed, 22 Oct 2003 10:56:21 -0400
Andrew Weiss wrote:

> I dunno... am I the only male geek who thinks prairie dogs are just as
> worthy of life as any other small and cute woodland/desert creature?
> I went out of curiosity... it was disturbing and pointless.... why not
> just shoot watermelons.... they explode just as well... or... like in
> a later thread... and Kurt has done... shoot Windows boxes?

The main reason folks hunt prairie dogs is that they destroy the
farm/ranchland that they occupy.  The also bring disease and they leave
the landscape riddles with holes that stay around long after the 'dogs
have gone.  I've seen more head of cattle with broken legs due to 'dog
holes than I can count.

Exploding varmints with ballistic-tipped bullets isn't pretty, and it
sure does offend the sensibilities, but it's quick and relatively
painless.  Considering the alternative is poison and burning, shooting
them is the prefered method.

Don't get me wrong, if they're in the wild and not destroying
farm/ranchland, then I think you should let them be.

--
Kurt                 "I am not aware that any community has a right to
kurt at k-huhn.com       force another to be civilized."