[geeks] Swords

vance at neurotica.com vance at neurotica.com
Tue Oct 21 08:30:09 CDT 2003

On Mon, 20 Oct 2003 nimitz at ns1.nimitzbrood.com wrote:

> > > If you're going to practice then order the bamboo practice sword.
> > > You'll be much better off and you'll have less risk of cutting
> > > something *cough* appendage *cough* by accident.
> >
> > That's also what I'm going to do. 8-)  The $10 sword is just the "ooh,
> > yeah!, I'm grown up now and can have a real sword instead of a metal
> > pole wrapped w/electric tape" revenge on my childhood. 8-)
> >

> Understand completely.  My current sword is the (now) $19 Viking Sword
> form Bud K.  It's actually quite durable.

I have an uncle who lives in India who retired from his previous career as
a metallurgical engineer in a foundry to become a swordsmith.  He makes
damascus-steel scimitars (among other things) now.  He gets about
US$30,000 for one.  It takes him almost nine months to finish a sword, but
he works on two or three at once.

Peace...  Sridhar