Suzuki Samurai was Re: [geeks] SPARC proprietary (waaaay

Mike F lists at mikef.dyndns.org
Mon Oct 20 13:38:02 CDT 2003

On Mon, 20 Oct 2003 11:25:32 -0700 (PDT)
Francisco Javier Mesa-Martinez <lefa at ucsc.edu> wrote:

> On Mon, 20 Oct 2003, Kevin wrote:
>

> > Amen and Amen.  Oval racing, in my opinion, in just
> > for warming up tyres.  I fail to understand the
> > fascination with NASCAR, the anti-F1.
>
> You have to understand the attention span of the average redneck, as
> well as their driving skills.
>
> I was a fanatic of F-1 and of course Rally (I did a couple years of
> junior Rally back when I was growing up in Europe driving POS
> Renault's). I used to watch Rally and F-1 on Speedvision, then a
> stupid redneck housemate would complain about them fag European
> drivers with their shitboxes and crap like that... Ignorance is bliss
> among a large percentage of this population I guess...

Things are the same in the Midwest - actually, probably worse. The quote
I hear most often is "Them dang cars, they barely even touch each other,
and the goll-durn things fall apart!" To which I reply "That's why it takes so much skill to drive them - you can't go around bashing into
everyone (and everything) on the track and expect to keep driving."
My wife works in a place that *sells* NASCAR products, but she enjoys
giving those people a hard time about the pseudo-racing they follow.