Suzuki Samurai was Re: [geeks] SPARC proprietary (waaaay

Francisco Javier Mesa-Martinez lefa at ucsc.edu
Mon Oct 20 13:39:10 CDT 2003

On Mon, 20 Oct 2003, Kurt Huhn wrote:

> On Mon, 20 Oct 2003 04:00:25 +0000
> wa2egp at att.net wrote:
>
> > > Oh, kinda like how MCSE's are great sysadmins, because they have a
> > > few classes, a few tests, and a paper that says they're good.  Wake
> > > up.
> >
> > Can I include Phd's who do workshops for teachers?  Can I? Please?
>
> Yes, you may.  In fact, I insist.  I have nothing against folks that
> stay in school until they're 30 or so, getting all the degrees
> available, until they start spouting something they learned in some
> lecture or lab somewhere and expecting the rest of the world to take it
> as The Way Things Are.  Sometimes it works, granted, but sometimes it's
> so far off base that it results in much hilarity.

Could we stop with the asinine generalizations please. I can not even
begin to count the times we have had to hand fix the fuckups from the
sysadmins in almost every organization I have been involved. It is just
tiresome having to deal with undereducated drop outs that are unable to
fix things right the first time, and that *gasp* our holy Ph.D. have to
get our hands dirty and first hardware and configuration issues on top of
trying to carry research work. That was the reason I joined this list to
begin with.

Of course I must not make such statemens, as I am sure there are good
profesionals with low educational degrees. And I hope the same courtesy is
extended to us "fools" who had the silly notion of furthering our
educational horizons, and make our little contribution to the state of the
art in the computer field.

And stop with the freaking world this and world that, man it seems you
have some sort of monopoly on reality, I advice to tread with care as you
could slip and fall off your ego, which seems to be at a much over
inflated height.

Thanks.