Suzuki Samurai was Re: [geeks] SPARC proprietary (waaaay

Dan Duncan dand at pcisys.net
Sun Oct 19 23:48:34 CDT 2003

As I recall, 'Kurt Huhn' wrote:
> > I don't spend much time on the artificial treadmill you call a race
> > track, but if I want to inflate my mileage I may give it a shot.
>
> You *really* need to read the entire thread before making statements
> like that.  I racked up all those miles as a truck driver.

Aha, I did miss that.  I saw your message about tracks and missed the
single character (the letter b) about being a truck driver.

> I used to race from time to time when I the money and spare time.  To do
> so I had to go to Skip Barber's school to be competitive.  I attend
> track days now and again, but I don't have a race car and the miles
> don't amount much more than a drop in the bucket.  I'm not sure why you
> refer to racing as a "treadmill", but if it's because you don't believe
> it builds skill useable on surface streets, you're sadly mistaken.

It builds certain skills, but it can't prepare you for situations
which probably won't happen on a track.  How often does someone
on a track brake for a squirrel?  How many tracks have blind curves?
Stuff in the lab doesn't always apply to real life, because in
real life there are far bigger idiots.

> > No, the question was posed in hopes you would answer it.  Clearly you
> > DO know better than to overdrive your visibility in certain
> > situations.
> >
> > Now that wasn't so hard, was it?
>
> Why would it be hard?  And why do you care?

Hard because it took you more than one attempt.

I care because I'm curious.

> > > Your assertation that I know little about
> > > driving bears no weight, pal.
> >
> > Could you underline where I said that above?  I'm having trouble
> > finding that one, too.
> >

> Can't.  I snipped it from the message before replying, and I empty my
> trash regularly.  But if you really care, do an archive search.

Looked, didn't find that particular one.  I did find where you
had said you were a truck driver, though.  Sorry about that.
We've probably killed this thing.   Beer time.

> > And your repeated refusal to slow down around a blind curve, which
> > I consider a basic driving concept.
>
> I didn't say I didn't slow down.  I didn't say I won't slow down. You're
> reading stuff I never typed.
>

> > Should I toss out phrases in Latin here or just childish namecalling?
> > You make it look so fun.
>
> I prefer name calling.  Spouting Latin phrases isn't my cup of tea.

Oh, come on.  You've used a couple of Latin phrases thus far.

> > > Why do you say that?  A panic stop and a stop with short notice are
> > > two entirely different things.  You're reading what you want and
> > > spouting garbage in reply.
> >
> > But I'm having so much fun doing it.
>
> You admit it then?

Sure, why not?

> > So what does actually having a record of causing accidents show?
>
> Actually, I don't have a record of causing accidents.

Whaddya mean?  You've detailed at least two in this thread.

> Aside from speeding tickets, my record is clean.  I've never been cited for a
> moving violation aside from speeding.  Well, there was that one time I
> got stopped when crossing the Dunbarton Bridge in the HOV lane, which I
> didn't mean to do actually, but got stuck there due to an incident a
> couple hundred yards previous.  However, I don't believe that's a moving
> violation, and I took my chances with that ticket to avoid being part of
> an accident.

Ah, you meant a LEGAL record.  I didn't specify such.

To this I'll just parrot back your statement about that being a
matter of statistics.

-DanD

# Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it even if I have
# said it unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense.
# Buddha