[geeks] VAX 7000-650

vance at neurotica.com vance at neurotica.com
Sun Oct 19 08:03:04 CDT 2003

On Sun, 19 Oct 2003, Geoffrey S. Mendelson wrote:

> > I need to raise a whole load of money.  Anyone want to buy my VAX
> > 7650?  I don't forsee running it for a while, and I really need the
> > money.
>
> Although I'm not in a position to buy it now, I'd be curious what it has
> on it and what you want for it. I'm also curious what you need the money
> for, but unless it's geek related, don't expect to find out.

There's a variety of things I need the money for, but I really need to
upgrade my main desktop workstation, and if I can get a B80, I'd be a
really happy camper.

It has 5 CPU's.  I believe they're 100MHz (maybe 111MHz) NVAX.  I'd have
to check, but I believe it has 1.5GB RAM.  It has FDDI, multiple ethernet
interfaces, and a variety other peripherals.  It's one serious powerful
VAX.  The VAX 7000 is the fastest VAX ever made.  (The 7860 is actually
the fastest model in the series with six 170MHz NVAXen.)

> Not to sound like an idiot, but if I were to buy a similar system for a
> business, what would I do with it? As some of you know, I'm trying to
> start a business that will evolve into a "think tank"  (patent farm?).

It's a general purpose server.  Runs VMS.  Crunches databases well.

> At this time, due to lack of funding, I have had to make do with PC's
> running linux to do things, if we get off the ground we'll need some
> serious computing power.

If you ever need a mainframe guy and mainframes, you know where to find
me.  8-)

Peace...  Sridhar