Suzuki Samurai was Re: [geeks] SPARC proprietary (waaaay

Dan Sikorski me at dansikorski.com
Fri Oct 17 19:58:39 CDT 2003

On Fri, 2003-10-17 at 19:30, Francisco Javier Mesa-Martinez wrote:
> On Fri, 17 Oct 2003, Dan Sikorski wrote:
> > What makes you think he's upset? can you tell his tone of voice in his
> > typed words? i didn't think so.
>
> I was infering that by the constant resort to the occasional "fuck you",
> in the same sense you infer that he was not upset. Maybe "fuck you" is
> some sort of relaxed response wherever it is you come from...

I will tell a friend to go fuck himself in conversation without meaning
to offend him.  But then again, i have some fucked up friends.  I also
have a fucked up job.  It's unusual for a conversation between me and my
boss to NOT be littered with profanity.  And if i'm talking to my boss
about a phone company (esp. Verizion and Sprint lately), it's unusual if
the conversation doesn't have the word fuck in every other sentence.
Working with my boss is like being in the movie Goodfellas, fuckin'
language, fuckin' guns, fuckin' short temper.  Only, we don't do drugs,
and the guns are used for hunting birds, not people.

> > Last year, i drove about 35k in my car.   This averages 95.89 miles per
> > day.  At that rate, it would take 42.86 years to hit 1.5 million miles.
> > which means, a 60 year old could easily have 1.5 mil behind the wheel.
>
> So kurt is 60 years old? Whoah!

Probably not, but do you know that he isn't?

> > Keep in mind, that i just drive to and from client facilities.  While i
> > have no experience, someone who drove for a living (courier, cabbie,
> > semi driver, etc.) could easily do 60k in a year, and hit 1.5 mil in
> > just 25 years, based on 8 hours a day, 5 days a week, 50 weeks a year at
> > 30mph.  Just because the average person may only drive 30 miles a day,
> > doesn't mean that some of us don't drive a whole lot more.
>
> I did not say it wasn't possible, i am just saying that 1.5 million miles
> is very very very very unlikely unles a) one is pretty old, or b) one is a
> professional truck driver of sorts.

It's also unlikely that anyone would have a cray or four at home.
Generalizations just don't apply to this crowd.

> > > Like and old wise man said, lots of experience can not replace
> good > > training and education if most of that experience is wrong.
> >
> > Oh, kinda like how MCSE's are great sysadmins, because they have a few
> > classes, a few tests, and a paper that says they're good.  Wake up.
>
> Huh? I seriously don't know what an MCSE has to do with this, all I was
> saying is that experience doesn't make an opinion or method automatically
> right. In the same sort of way that training and classes doesn't make
> it right either. Mr. Huhn's arugment is that his experience somehow is
> more important that the road code, which I respecfully disagree with. All
> I have got so far is what a small world I must come from type of
> and I have lived and drived in over 6 countries.

Pretty much everyone on this list knows how to drive a car.  Unless i'm
mistaken, my jeep will drive the exact same way on every continent and
in every country, if i would be inclined to transport it there. If
anything, living and driving in 6 different countries makes you less
qualified to comment on driving in the US (which is where this thread
started.)  The point that i was making with the MCSE comment was that
training and education does not magically make you a great driver.  It
has a part in it, but in my book, the experience counts more.

> The point is that it is your responsability as a driver to be able to STOP
> if anything happens in front of you. No matter how obscenities and how
> much temper tantrums some members of this list throw....

No, it is your responsibility to operate your vehicle safely.  PART of
that is avoiding accidents.  One way of avoiding accidents is to stop
when one happens in front of you, however, this is not always the best
way to avoid an accident, and it is certainly not the only way.  If your
only method to avoid an accident is to stop, there will be accidents
that you will not be able to avoid, no matter how quickly you stop.  In
fact, if you slam on the brakes while going 60mph with a semi following
you, you just might die.  Maybe on some technicality, it would be the
semi drivers fault, but you won't be able to sue him over it from your
grave.

	-Dan Sikorski