Suzuki Samurai was Re: [geeks] SPARC proprietary (waaaay

Mike F lists at mikef.dyndns.org
Wed Oct 15 19:50:14 CDT 2003

On Wed, 15 Oct 2003 17:46:12 -0700 (PDT)
Francisco Javier Mesa-Martinez <lefa at ucsc.edu> wrote:
[snip]
> LOL! I drive manual, and I have survived Frisco no problem :), however
> most drivers in this country assume everyone in front of them is
> driving auto, because most times I am stopped at a rolling hill some
> moron just pulls a couple of inches from my bumper. The trick is to
> know the hand brake/clutch release trick and you can get in gear with
> virtually no rollback. However I still get annoyed when people just
> pull so close in hills....
>
> The funnies thing is when I get to drive auto, my left foot gets all
> confused :). I once dated a chick that drove an automatic Porche,

Heh, I've never owned an autmomatic, and I agree, it's tough to fight
the left-foot clutch reflex when driving an auto. My wife's car is an
automatic, and once in a while, I'll go for the "imaginary clutch" with
my left foot and end up slamming on the brakes instead :^O

> aaaaggghhh the humanity! A beautiful engine should always be coupled
> to a manual tranny!!!!

Even just based on sound alone - with an automatic, you get that monotone
groan, while with a manual you get the whole range of sounds, and it's all
controlled by your right foot :)