Suzuki Samurai was Re: [geeks] SPARC proprietary (waaaay

Eric Dittman dittman at dittman.net
Wed Oct 15 18:02:02 CDT 2003

> I won't ever buy a vehicle with an auto tranny ever again - I like having
> *control* of my vehicle.

I won't buy a manual for a daily driver.  I'm in too much stop-and-go traffic.
I'd also prefer that most people that drive stop-and-go traffic not drive
manuals, since a huge majority of the cars I see in stop-and-go traffic that
actually slow things down are manuals (things like taking forever to close
the gap because they want to avoid having to use the clutch and taking a
while to get started when a light turns green because they have to shift).
In those cases the manual actually causes people to lose control of their
vehicle since they end up sitting still when they should be moving.

I don't buy the argument that an automatic takes away too much control from
the driver unless you are talking about a race car.

> I did, however, learn to drive with an auto, and was SCARED TO DEATH of stopping
> on hills when I first got the stick - but I got over it, and *love* it now.

I learned to drive with a manual.  I still don't care for stopping on hills.
The hills where I grew up were really steep in places, and the manual just
meant there was more margin for error.
--
Eric Dittman
dittman at dittman.net