Suzuki Samurai was Re: [geeks] SPARC proprietary (waaaay

Kurt Huhn kurt at k-huhn.com
Wed Oct 15 16:38:04 CDT 2003

On Wed, 15 Oct 2003 11:11:07 -0700 (PDT)
Francisco Javier Mesa-Martinez wrote:

> On Wed, 15 Oct 2003, Kurt Huhn wrote:
> >
> > Some vehicles stop *way* more quickly than others, and a variety of
> > reasons could prevent you from stopping in time.
> >
> > The person slamming on their brakes to avoid the tree-rat needs to
> > be taken out back and beaten mercilessly.  They're a danger to
> > everyone behind them because a) they think a squirrel is more
> > important the safety of themselves and anyone behind them, and b)
> > that had no idea anyone was behind them and might hit them if they
> > slammed on their brakes.
>
> Well the same could be said about the person who is way too close to
> the rear bumper of the person in front of them so that they do not
> have time nor space to brake when the person in front of them brakes.
> That is basic driving skill really. The squirrel itself can do certain
> damage if for example gets hit by the front bumper and propelled
> towards the front windshield at high enough speeds. Larger animals
> like a racoon can do serious damage if hit at relative high speeds....

I think you missed the point - read the first sentance again.  This has
nothing to do with "following too closely", and everything to do with
extraneous circumstances.

For instance:  I'm coming around a bend in the road and I know that the
person in front of me was travelling at 50 MPH, which I have matched,
and am far enough back to make a panic stop if I need to.  I come around
the bend and see that the person in front of me has made a panic stop to
avoid a squirrel, I no longer have enough time to make my panic stop,
because between reaction time, the fact that I'm a 1-ton pickup with a
10,000-pound GVWR trailer in tow, and it took me a fraction of a second
to register that some idiot had actually stopped on the other side of a
blind bend, I now end up creaming that guy.  Happened to me while I was
a landscaper.

Another one:  I'm driving a 10 year old Volkwagen Rabbit and following
at a very respectable distance.  Some idiot in front of me slams on
their brakes to avoid a squirrel, and forces me to do same.  However, at
that moment I blow a brake component and am left with nothing but the
mechanical backup system which is *not* going to stop me in time.
As a result, I cream the idiot that panic stopped to avoid a small
furry forrest creature.  Happened to me on my way to the gym about a
decade ago.

There's all sorts of other situations where maintaining a good space
cushion simply isn't going to help you.

As far as doing damage when you hit something small and fuzzy - what
kind of fragile-ass car you driving?  Okay, slight damage to bodywork,
maybe bits get wrapped up in the sertpentine belt, some blood gets
sucked into the intake, but mostly the animal get's squashed or bounces
off.  I have yet to see a squirrel do any significant damage to a car -
and certainly not enough to warrant gambling with your safety and the
well-being of the people behind you and slamming on the brakes.

A racoon, yes.  However, do you hit the raccoon and take your chances
with the autobody repairman, recognizeing  that the people behind you
might not be able to stop in time, or do you slam on your brakes,
throwing caution tot he wind, and brace yourself for the pileup behind
you.

Do you *really* want to slam on your brakes when you *know* that a
large portion of the population follows too closely anyway?  Are you
*really* going to take that chance for a squirrel?  Is that *really* an
acceptable risk?

> "small" part? Jeez I guess momentum just somehow is a small detail, as
> well as bumper positioning, etc. SUVs tend to give bad drivers an
> extra degree of confidence, and that in certain occasions is a very
> very dangerous combination.

OK, granted (as far as phusics) but the difference between a 3200 pound
car and a 4000 pound SUV isn't earth-shattering.  But who's fault is the
bumper position thing?  What if I say that it's the fault of the small
sportscars and micro-commuters?  If they put their bumpers and body
pillars at respectable hieghts, there wouldn't be a problem, right?
It's all in the symantics - I think.

I also don't think I really see the point anyway.  We can't regulate
something just because a small part of the population doesn't like it.
Well, in my belief anyway.  Pay no attention to the current wacky legal
system.

--
Kurt                   I've been searching for the holy grail
kurt at k-huhn.com        I found out it's for sale