Suzuki Samurai was Re: [geeks] SPARC proprietary (MAJOR RANT)

Michael Schiller schiller at agrijag.com
Wed Oct 15 13:21:58 CDT 2003

On Wednesday, October 15, 2003, at 11:34  AM, Joshua D. Boyd wrote:

> Alternatively, you can speed shift, but that isn't recommended in cars
> because that will wear things out faster.  Truckers do it all the time
> though (or so my trucker friend tells me).

The thing the truckers don't tell you is that because of the lack of
syncros in the larger transmissions you almost HAVE to shift that way,
and it's also MUCH easier to do than in a modern tranny that has
working syncros. My old truck (the one that got totaled out on I-81
1-1/2 years ago) was starting to have transmission troubles, (the
syncros were going), so I was shifting it without using the clutch, for
up-shifts, or downshifts. If you get to know your engine/trans well
this is fairly easy to do well.

-Mike