Suzuki Samurai was Re: [geeks] SPARC proprietary (MAJOR RANT)

Kurt Huhn kurt at k-huhn.com
Wed Oct 15 12:10:57 CDT 2003

On Wed, 15 Oct 2003 12:01:34 -0400
Mike F wrote:

> "Joshua D. Boyd" <jdboyd at celestrion.celestrion.net> wrote:
>
> > Alternatively, you can speed shift, but that isn't recommended in
> > cars because that will wear things out faster.  Truckers do it all
> > the time though (or so my trucker friend tells me).
>
> My brother-in-law does this with his Vette, and before that in his
> Ford Explorer, which had a stick. I've always been too chicken to do
> it. Apparently it's as much an art as heel-toeing and double-clutching

Speed shifting was *absolutely* necessary when I was driving Volkswagen
Rabbits with diesel engines.  If you let your RPMs drop off too far, you
basically slowed to a crawl - especailly on hills.

Now I've got an Autostick in my GT Cruiser, which does just about the
same thing - except I don't risk burning up the clutch.

--
Kurt                 "I am not aware that any community has a right to
kurt at k-huhn.com       force another to be civilized."