Suzuki Samurai was Re: [geeks] SPARC proprietary (waaaay

Dan Sikorski me at dansikorski.com
Tue Oct 14 19:53:23 CDT 2003

On Tue, 2003-10-14 at 12:40, nimitz at ns1.nimitzbrood.com wrote:
> Actually from my point of view the extra hand makes a big difference.  Without taking that hand off the wheel you can't do anything _but_ drive.  I don't mind that because several things could be added to the column to allow steering wheel control of them.  The radio is only one example of such.

If all i am doing is driving.  My mind will wander.  I'll start thinking
about work, what i'll have for dinner, number theory, what my weekend
plans are, weather or not my life is headed in the direction i want it
to, what i should put on my website, what kind of dog i like, planning
my financial future, and that's just a small sampling.  I think that in
my specific case some sort of diversion is necessary.  Driving around
here is way too monotonous.

> I agree wholeheartedly.  There needs to be more serious penalties for serious accidnets.  But then that would only worsten under our sue-happy society so i'm not sure what he solution should be.

Why? so that the next time someone slams on their brakes so they don't
hit a rabbit crossing the road, and you can't stop in time or otherwise
avoid it, and the bozo that you hit claims that you caused some back
injury that prevents him from working and living the rest of his life
normally, you can get jail time?  No thanks.  More power behind traffic
laws allow for far more abuse of them.

> I can see the one but restricting the size of the vehicle proabably wouldn't be feasible as many kids tinker with their own cars.  What's next?  Licensed performance products?  Do you want to have to pay extra for that turbo?

and then the next thing would be that performance tires, that would help
you avoid accidents, and stop faster, are considered such a performance
option? that doesn't sound good.  And let's not forget, a 15 passenger
van is about as big as a ford expedition, if not bigger.  Nobody
complains about 15 passenger vans being such a menace on the road.  It's
the DRIVER, not the vehicle that causes a problem.  A bad driver is a
bad driver no matter  what they're driving.  Nobody here is complaining
about semi drivers here, and they're the biggest thing on the road.

	-Dan Sikorski