Suzuki Samurai was Re: [geeks] SPARC proprietary (MAJOR RANT)

Mike F lists at mikef.dyndns.org
Tue Oct 14 14:55:09 CDT 2003

On Tue, 14 Oct 2003 11:59:19 -0400 (EDT)
Kevin <kevin at mpcf.com> wrote:

> The after market pedals usually have an extra "lip" on
> the bottom portion of the throttle that allows your
> heel to catch it.  Sometimes these are complete
> replacement pedals and other times they are covers for
> the stock throttle that add the "lip".  Of course you
> can go all out with custom pedals with adjustable
> distance between the pedals and pedal height (it's good
> to have brake and throttle close to even.)

That would probably explain it - I think in all the cars I've
had the brake and gas pedals were pretty far apart, so that
my heel could barely even reach the gas pedal, much less
being able to do quick heel-and-toe maneuvers.

> Pulling it off with a completely stock pedal setup is
> possible in some cars but it kinda depends on shoe
> size.  I don't think many manufacturers would be
> setting it up for heel-toe on purpose, but some do
> position the brake closer to the throttle than others.

Yeah, that would help. And I do recall reading from time
to time in Car and Driver about the heel-and-toe-ability
of whatever car they're testing, and like you said, some
are better suited than others.  - Mike