Suzuki Samurai was Re: [geeks] SPARC proprietary (waaaay

Geoffrey S. Mendelson gsm at mendelson.com
Tue Oct 14 14:39:46 CDT 2003

Kevin wrote:
> One lady in particular said
> that because her son was disabled that it was an
> absolute necessity that he be able to carry a phone.
> Along the same lines, a lady at my job said her son had
> to have a cell phone because he was a diabetic and had
> to be able to contact her or 911 at any time.  WTF?????
> What the hell did diabetics do in the 70s?  My mother
> is diabetic and she absolutely refuses to even own a
> cell phone.  I understand that they can make a
> difference in some emergency situations, and that is
> a good thing but that doesn't change the definition of
> "have to".

I can speak to both (unfortunately). My middle son has PDD (mild
Aspbergers Syndrome. Think of the "rain main" with a low IQ of
about normal. Smart kid, but many of the same problems.

He was left by a van driver in a parking lot who expected him to get
on the correct van to take him home. About 1/2 after the vans had all
left a passerby found him alone in the parking lot crying.

He now carries a cell phone, it's turned off and in his backpack,
but if he needs help he can all for it. BTW, it's a Motorola and
set to only call numbers on a "fixed dial list" in case it gets
stolen (it was already).

The mother of the child who had "bought it" for $1, called us on it and
we came and got it. She did not ask for the $1 back and we did not
complain about where he son got it.

The second case is a nice who is an Insulin depedent diabetic in Florida.
When she was younger, keeping her blood sugar under control was darn near
impossible (she was about 7 at the time). He father would feed her and
give her a dose of insulin before she left for school.

At around 11am she was to go to the school nurse and have her sugar checked.
If it was high she got another dose, if it was low she was fed orange
juice and candy to prevent problems (including death) from low blood
sugar.

One day there was a substitue teacher. When my niece
complained about feeling like she had low blood sugar and need to go to
the nurse and drink some orange juice and eat candy, the teacher told her
to stay put and gave her some DIET soda. When she got to the nurse at
lunch time he blood sugar was 40!! She was lucky she had not slipped
into a fatal coma.

Geoff.
--
Geoffrey S. Mendelson gsm at mendelson.com 972-54-608-069