Suzuki Samurai was Re: [geeks] SPARC proprietary (waaaay off topic)

Kris Kirby kris at catonic.net
Mon Oct 13 00:09:09 CDT 2003

On Sun, 12 Oct 2003 wa2egp at att.net wrote:
> Well, that's the recommendation I got.  I drive a rice burner so it
> ain't gonna happen to me.  I've done the flex braid thing to keep
> ignition noise out of the radio (via the antenna) but it was not
> as effective as sheilding the ignition wires.  Don't dare do it with
> the modern stuff......afraid of too many "funny" things happening.

I have a 1994 Chevy Caprice that used to be a police car. It does have
braids all over it (including the exhaust pipes!) but having been in the
north, it's rusted and doesn't make a good RF ground.

It's tons of fun -- tighten a bolt and watch the SWR go down. The engine
computer eats up my two-meter radio in the car on occasion because I
shared an electrical ground with the console and didn't braid ground the
radio to the body/frame.

It doesn't even burp with 50W at 147MHz radiating.

--
Kris Kirby, KE4AHR  <kris at nospam.catonic.net>  TGIFreeBSD IM: 'KrisBSD'
                    "BIG BROTHER IS WATCHING YOU!"