Suzuki Samurai was Re: [geeks] SPARC proprietary (waaaay

N.Miller vraptor at promessage.com
Sun Oct 12 13:38:08 CDT 2003

On Thursday, October 9, 2003, at 01:44 PM, Phil Stracchino wrote:
> (Did I mention how much I despise the concept of traffic enforcement as
>  revenue generation?  Traffic enforcement should be about safety, not
>  about filling the city's coffers.)

In Texas, it was common for small towns to use it as a revenue
source--there are only a handful of interstates in Texas; most
people end up driving state highways or farm-to-market roads
which go through towns.

Then the state legislature got fed up and passed a law that
requires any city/county revenues over a certain percentage
of the tax base resulting from speeding tickets to be turned
over to the state.

In Texas, the legislature is paid only a very small salary,
so many of them do not actually live in the capital, but
rather commute by car.  They didn't like their small salary
being chewed up by speeding tickets.

For a long time, one of the map publishers in Texas had a
specialized map just for speed traps.

=Nadine=

(Texas A&M, '87)